Scoring 9/10 in issue CM206, we branded Unfiltered Audio's G8 Dynamic Gate as "one of the most comprehensive gates we've ever seen - and probably the most creative". The developer dudes at Unfiltered Audio have kindly condensed its core features down into a fully featured gating tool just for CM readers - enter G8 CM!
Whereas compression reduces the level of a signal that exceeds its threshold, a noise gate is sort of the opposite: when its threshold is exceeded by the incoming audio signal, a gate will open and allow the audio to pass through; when the incoming audio is below that threshold, the gate will close, preventing any audio from exiting. G8 CM can do this and much, much more - check out our video to see exactly what this feature-packed plugin can do for your dynamics!
Features and uses:
- Comprehensive, fully-customisable waveform display
- Flexible Attack-Hold-Release envelope for tight control
- Reduction and Hysteresis controls for a smoother gating effect
- Peak and RMS detection modes
- MIDI In and Out - the plugin both responds to and outputs MIDI data
- Flip Mode - output the 'rejected' signal in isolation for creative effects
- Dry/Wet mix control
- Up to 100ms Lookahead
- 32-/64-bit PC VST
- 32-/64-bit Mac AU/VST
How to get G8 CM:
Buy Computer Music magazine issue 213(CM213) and you can download G8 CM right away.
If G8 CM's awesome features leave you wanting more, the full version - G8 Dynamic Gate - also features an external sidechain input (in supported DAWs), reject outputs (which send out all audio blocked by the gate), one-shot mode for shaping percussion, cycle mode for AM synthesis or granulator-style effects, and an Expert Mode. Go to Unfiltered Audio's website for more info.