Røde Microphones has announced the Wireless GO system, which it claims is the smallest wireless microphone system in the world. Based on the pictures, it certainly looks that way.
The system is made up of two ultra-compact units, the TX transmitter and RX receiver. Both clock in at a featherweight 31g each and are not much bigger than a credit card when laid side by side.
The mic packs are aimed at vloggers, journalists, film-makers, presenters and more. Basically, anyone who is looking to keep their camera rig size and weight down to a minimum (that’ll be everyone, then).
The TX transmitter module features a built-in omni-directional condenser capsule and clip, but it also has a 3.5mm TRS input, so you can use it as “the world’s smallest belt-pack transmitter” for your own lav mic.
The RX receiver features a dual-purpose mount that can either clip to your clothing, or be attached to a camera shoe mount. It also comes supplied with a 3.5mm cable to run straight into your camera, or audio capture device, with the relevant adaptors. You’re also afforded 0dB, -6dB and -12dB output pad settings.
There’s no word on price for the Wireless GO system, but it will be shipping very soon. More information can be found on the Røde website.
Wireless GO highlights
- Operates as a clip-on mic or belt-pack transmitter for a lavalier/headset microphone
- Built-in omnidirectional condenser microphone delivers broadcast-quality sound
- All-new Series III 2.4GHz digital wireless transmission with 128-bit encryption designed to deliver crystal clear audio under any conditions, even in locations with dense Wi-Fi and Bluetooth activity like shopping malls, conventions, hotels etc
- Up to 70m range (line-of-sight), but optimised for shorter-range operation in congested radio-frequency environments
- TX and RX have built-in rechargeable batteries, charged via USB-C
- Up to 7 hours on a full charge, including a battery saver mode
- Super lightweight and ultra-compact: TX and RX are only 31g each
- The transmitter and receiver pair in just 3 seconds
- 3-stage output pad: 0, -6dB and -12dB
- RØDE’s market-leading smartLav+ (with an SC3 adaptor), Lavalier microphone and HS2 headset microphone are perfect companions for the Wireless GO when used as a belt-pack (and sold separately).