We've seen countless incarnations of Steve Vai's legendary JEM model, but Ibanez's latest might just be the most eye-catching yet.
The JEM77WDP-CNL - these model names are really getting out of hand - is part of the not-quite-Prestige Premium line, and features a rosewood top with wood pickguard and matching headstock, plus wooden control knobs.
DiMarzio's Dark Matter 2 humbuckers are onboard and decorated with a steampunk-esque cog design, while a Dark Matter 2 single coil - sadly bereft of cogs - occupies the guitar's middle position.
Elsewhere, the guitar boasts a mahogany body and Edge Zero-II locking vibrato, as well as Vai's trademark Tree of Life inlay along the rosewood fretboard.
The JEM77WDP-CNL certainly a departure from the usual Vai fare, but retains the same outlandish flair of the other models that bear his name.
It's available now for $2,266.65 - specs below…
- 5pc Wizard Maple/Walnut neck w/ KTS titanium rods
- Rosewood top/ Mahogany body
- Rosewood Fretboard
- Tree of Life Inlay
- Jumbo frets
- Edge-Zero II tremolo bridge
- Pickups: DiMarzio Dark Matter 2 (H) neck pu; DiMarzio Dark Matter 2 (S) mid pu; DiMarzio Dark Matter 2 (H) bridge pu
- Wood pickguard w/ matching headstock
- Cosmo black Hardware
- Hardshell case included