What is it?
Part of Gibson's revived 2019 line-up, the Tribute is one of the most affordable Les Pauls that the company now produces - in America, naturally.
Accordingly, there are compromises, with a maple - rather than mahogany - neck and a thinner body depth, topped off with a nitro-finished plain maple top, all sans binding.
What is here, however, is a pair of 490R (neck) and 490T (bridge) humbuckers with Alnico II magnets, while the company's Ultra Modern weight relief should keep your back happy.
Performance and verdict
The thin, C-shaped maple neck means the Tribute almost ends up feeling like a Fender, as opposed to the rest of the 2019 LP range's more D-like shapes, but it's certainly a comfortable place to be unless you're a Gibson die-hard.
A trim low-end makes for an aggressive punk attack, which will cover all manner of rock tones.
It's a very nice piece indeed and, if you've got the budget, makes an excellent back-up to your Standard, or a decent slide guitar.
Of course, there is considerable competition in this price range, and plenty of rivals from the likes of ESP, PRS, and even Gibson's own sub-brand Epiphone will offer additional tones over the three-way humbucker sounds you'll find here.
But if you're looking to 'Play Authentic' - as Gibson would put it - this is your cheapest entry point to the world of brand-new Les Pauls, and its no-frills performance encapsulates the very essence of rock guitar.
MusicRadar verdict: This stripped-down Les Paul may not be the most versatile single-cut out there, but it is a no-frills rock machine with vibe aplenty.
- Body: 2-piece mahogany with carved maple top w/ Ultra Modern weight relief
- Neck: 1-piece maple, rounded neck profile, glued-in
- Scale length: 624mm (24.6”) NUT: Graph Tech
- Fingerboard: Rosewood, Acrylic Trapezoid inlays, 305mm (12”) radius
- Frets: 22, medium jumbo
- Hardware: Aluminium Nashville tune-o-matic bridge, aluminium stopbar tailpiece, Vintage Deluxe w/ keystone buttons – nickel plated
- Electrics: Gibson 490R (neck) and 490T (bridge), 3-way toggle pickup selector switch, volume and tone for each pickup
- Weight (kg/lb): 3.27/7.2
- Left-handed: Not listed
- Finishes: Satin Iced Tea, Satin Honeyburst (as reviewed), Satin Tobacco Burst, Satin Cherry Sunburst – satin nitrocellulose