Positive Grid has launched Bias Desktop, which it's billing as as a "groundbreaking" guitar amp modeller that, with its Amp Matching technology, can put the tone of any tube amplifier into a plugin.
Amp Matching is said to be based on a collection of underlying technologies that analyse and compare an existing Bias amp model with the sound of any tube amp and its corresponding cabinet and mic. Using "tonal compensation and enhancement," the existing model is then adjusted to match the target amp.
New amp models can be shared via the ToneCloud, which also enables you to download models created by other users. Positive Grid says that it's working with artists and engineers, who it hopes will create custom amp models for the platform.
"Instead of providing a fixed number of amp models, Bias Desktop represents an entire new concept on guitar sound: guitar players can now virtually design their own amps, using Amp Matching Technology to capture their golden tube amplifiers," says Bias Product Manager Calvin Abel.
Bias Desktop is available now. The standard version costs $99 and comes with 36 customisable amp models and access to ToneCloud, while the Professional version adds the Amp Matching technology and gives you additional presets and expansion packs. Both models can sync with the iOS version of Bias.
Find out more on the Positive Grid website.
Bias Desktop features
- The most complete, accurate, and versatile amp modeling software available in the world
- 36 HD amp models included with the introductory release
- Amp Matching captures any miced amp or recorded track and creates a matched model
- Share and download thousands of artist- and user-created and matched amp models on ToneCloud
- Fully customizable preamps, tone stacks, power amps, transformers, cabinets and mic selection and placement - mix and match!
- Customize the look and feel of your own amp panel; change the name, tolex, panel and knobs.
- Works the way guitarists think: tweak gain and overdrive, swap out tubes and transformers, change the cabinet and mic position, and shape the tone with different tone stacks and two 8-band equalizers
- Included noise gate and room simulator
- Create a virtually unlimited number of custom amps
- Quick preset facility recalls each of your 8 favourite settings in turn with just one tap